This is my all time favorite meal. You know the one that your mom knows to make for your birthday without even having to ask what you would like her to cook. When I was in college and would come home on a weekend the family always knew when they smelled the simmering of Pepper Steak on the stove that "Gretchen was coming home". This recipe was passed down to my mother from her mother and it remains a favorite at my dinner table now!
- Prep time: 40 minutes
- Cook time: 60 minutes
- Serves: 8 people
- Round steak (1-2 lbs)
- Olive Oil
- 1 can tomatoes or tomato juice
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- ½ onion (diced)
- Garlic powder
- Bell pepper (sliced)
- 2 cups Minute Rice
- Worcestershire sauce
- Slice round steak into 1” wide strips.
- Shake steak in flour and brown in a little olive oil.
- Add browned steak, onion, juice from tomatoes, 2 cups water, bouillon cubes to a skillet or an electric skillet.
- Sprinkle on garlic powder, salt and pepper and stir.
- Simmer for 45 minutes until the meat is tender.
- Add tomatoes and bell pepper, stir and simmer until tender.
- Cook 2 cups minute rice as directed on package.
- In a 13x9” pan layer minute rice on the bottom with the steak mixture on the top including all the juice.
- Add Worcestershire sauce to taste.
- If you use an electric skillet a suggested cooking temperature is 200-225 degrees.
- You can add more water, tomato juice and spices as needed while simmering.
- It is great served with saltine crackers and dashes of salt.